Frequently Asked Questions
Close.By helps you find and get to the most relevant products, places, parking and promotions in your community, using state-of the art technologies. From last-minute clearance sales or event seating, to special insider knowledge about best parking or product availability, Close.by brings you the best of your town.
Close.By can also send local offers (many available nowhere else), from businesses you are interested in hearing from, directly to your phone via email or a screen notification.
Each offer provided by the business should state when it is valid and how you should redeem it. If you have any specific questions about individual offers, please address your questions directly to the business that is making the offer.
You can view all the content of our app from your computer; however, screen notifications and location-based offers will only be sent to your phone if you have installed our app.
Please send an email to Support@Close.By, with your contact information and a short description of your problem, and we will respond to you as soon as possible
This is optional, but if you would like to receive just-in-time offers or announcements from local businesses, we can send them via screen notifications (when you download our app), or via email. We will only use the information you provide to contact you with the kinds of offers or announcements you requested; we will not provide your personal information to 3rd parties. Also, you can always turn off these notifications by simply clicking on the check box under “Preferences” within our app, or in the Settings of your iPhone itself. (See below, “How can I change my notification preferences,” for more details.)
Please tap on the menu bar in the top left hand corner of the app, then tap on the Preferences option. Mark your changes and press “Done.” In addition, if you want to change the sounds your phone makes when you get any kinds of alerts, please go to the grey Settings icon on your phone, tap the Notifications option, and scroll down until you find the Close.By icon. You can adjust settings for our app and any others you may have downloaded onto your phone from there.
If you are using our desktop or mobile web, nothing is collected beyond any contact information you provide. If you download the smart phone app and opt to receive location-specific offers, the Close.By app on your phone will use technologies such as Bluetooth and GPS to identify your location. This allows us to send you offers and announcements that are relevant to where you are at any given time. You can stop this feature by changing your alert preferences or by turning off Bluetooth on your phone.
We are working on that! In the meantime, you can view our site on any smart phone, including Android phones, by typing close.by into your browser.
Close.By is the first genuinely local marketing platform for downtown merchants, integrating hyper-local search, real-time offers and location-based messaging and cross-marketing. We are planning to roll out - one town at a time - but ultimately we expect to have a presence across the U.S.
Please click on the “Merchant Signup” button on the top right of the Close.By page, and you will be able to register for a user name and password. Once you do that, you’ll be able to add a business directly on our site. Or, if you experience any difficulties, please send an email to email@example.com, along with your name, email address, business name, and telephone number. We will contact you as soon as possible with your log in details.
Consumers can access most of the benefits via “mobile web” without downloading an app. But there are a few unique features, such as connecting to in-store beacons (which are able to sense the consumer’s presence and allow us to send them special in-store offers), that require an app to be downloaded to a consumer’s phone. We will be promoting both the mobile website and the app via a number of channels:
- In-store marketing (flyers, business cards, decals, signage) – please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your own materials.
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Promotions/signage at town events (e.g., Farmers Market)
- Public relations
- Emails to consumer lists provided by our merchant partners and sponsors
- Ads on local sites
- And more!
Participating businesses get a number of valuable marketing benefits from Close.By, including:
- The ability to appear in searches on the app for any number of keywords they care to enter. (Keywords can be single words or phrases, such as brands you carry, or products, services or menu items that you offer.)
- The ability to send real-time alerts and emails to consumers who are currently in your town, (if they have give us permission to do so)
- The ability to send real-time alerts to consumers who are near your place of business, at times that you specify
- Close.By will promote offers and events from participating businesses on their social media pages
- Close.By is also piloting a “white glove” service to help make it easier for you to get set up on Close.By, and even to help advise you on your other social media activities.
- By participating in Close.By, and involving other businesses in your community, we will be creating a great value for consumers and a strong reason for them to shop local!
Key features, which we expect will always be free, are the ability to:
- Provide a business description and a few keywords/tags (search words) that indicate your key products and services so consumers can find you when searching for these keywords or phrases
- Select/update the category your business will be featured in
- Provide parking suggestions for customers, as well as indicate if your business is handicapped accessible, has its own parking lot, a back door entrance for customers
- Provide your business hours
- Upload a photo of your business
Additional features that are available at the Premium level, but are currently free to all participating merchants during our trial period, include the ability to:
- Create special offers - as often as you like - that will be visible to consumers on your Close.By page, AND can be pushed out to them via email or phone screen notifications. (These will only go to consumers who have opted in for email or phone notification offers.)
- Use beacons to provide location- and time-based offers to consumers, such as sending messages to someone at a train station to tell them about a special take-out dinner offer they can pick up now. (These will only go to consumers who have opted in for locationbased offers.)
Contact us at email@example.com for more information on pricing and features.
Close.By provides the following benefits:
- Close.By links for national brands: An easy-to-remember link, such as YourBrand.Close.By. Our turnkey solution allows you to use this link in social media to bring your consumers directly to a list of the nearest location for your products with a single tap. A map of directions to the location will be provided with another tap.
- The option to advertise or provide special offers via Close.By online directories such as “Pizza.Close.By”
- For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.